Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg shocked the nation when she announced doctors removed two cancerous tumors from her lungs.
That started the rumor mill about her retirement.
Now Ginsburg made one shocking announcement about her time on the court and all hell broke loose.
Ginsburg missed oral arguments this week while she recovered from her cancer surgery.
And on Friday, news broke that she would miss a second week, but that her recovery was on track.
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will miss a second week of oral arguments as she continues to recover from a cancer surgery she underwent last month, court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said Friday.
But Ginsburg’s recovery is on track, there is no evidence of remaining cancer in her body, and no further treatment is planned. Ginsburg will continue to participate in the cases on the basis of the briefs and transcripts of oral arguments.
“Her recovery from surgery is on track,” Arberg said. “Post-surgery evaluation indicates no evidence of remaining disease, and no further treatment is required.”
Ginsburg underwent an operation on Dec. 21 to remove two cancerous growths from her left lung. Friday marks three weeks since the surgery. Ginsburg, the court’s eldest justice, will turn 86 in March.
Ginsburg is the leader of the liberal block on the court.
There will be intense pressure on the left to hang on to her seat as long as she can.
Ginsburg has said she will serve on the court as long as she can go “full steam ahead.”
No one expects her to leave the court on her own.
During the campaign she spoke out harshly against Donald Trump.
Unless Ginsburg is physically unable to perform her duties, most experts believe she would never allow Donald Trump to pick her successor.
We will keep you up-to-date on any new developments in this ongoing story.